Women's Republican Club of Lancaster County
Founded by Suffragettes
1922 - 2015
About the Women's Republican Club of Lancaster County
The Women's Republican Club of Lancaster County is an affiliate of the Pennsylvania Federation of Republican Women. Our mission is to support and strengthen the Republican Party, to advance women in political knowledge and political activity and to promote honest government and unselfish patriotism.
In the summer of 1922, a group of women made plans to gather other civic-minded women such as themselves into one large Republican Club for Lancaster County. Having helped Republican candidates and worked hard to fight for their right to vote, these ladies were already politically active. The founders of our club were Mrs. Charles Stauffer, Mrs. Bernard J. Myers, Mrs. I.H. Herr and Mrs. Mary S. Long. They printed an invitation in the local newspaper urging women to attend the first meeting of the Women’s Republican Club of Lancaster County (WRC) on October 3, 1922. 1,000 women attended this meeting at the Brunswick Hotel in Downtown Lancaster and the Women’s Republican Club was born. Membership peaked in 1972 at 3,500 members.
For decades, members of the WRC have engaged in projects to introduce candidates to the electorate, preparing and supporting women to hold public office, and supporting Republican principles. Some of these projects include: Participation in Naturalization Day & the Sertoma Club Luncheon Giving of the Order of the Garter Selection of the Teen of the Week Giving of the Louise Souder Youth Award Themed Summer Parties Garden Parties Holiday Teas Fingertip Luncheons Card Parties & Card and Dane Parties Corn Roasts Meet the Candidates Events Fashion Shows Rummage Sales Members have always found a way to finance all of their accomplishments through luncheons, rummage sales, and other fundraising activities. In February 1923, the Pennsylvania Council of Republican Women was organized in Harrisburg, PA with the goal of uniting all Women Republican Clubs throughout the state. In February 1926, the WRC of Lancaster County became a part of the Pennsylvania Council of Republican Women. The name was later changed to the Pennsylvania Federation of Republican Women.